Gadget Bugg: Review: Adesso AKB-220 Flexible Keyboard

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review: Adesso AKB-220 Flexible Keyboard

We've all had this experience:

You are talking to your friend and he brings up a movie that he recently saw.

"It's the most amazing movie in the world; it'll blow your mind"!

"It sounds really cool", you reply. "I guess I'll have to go see it".

He continues to build it up and then when you finally go and see it, it barely even meets the expectations you had yourself. In fact, it downright sucks. That was the experience I had with the Adesso AKB-220 keyboard. I was so excited to get this and play with it, but when I actually tried to type with it I was quickly disappointed.

What?

This keyboard is not the only waterproof, abuse proof, and flexible keyboard on the market, but it is one of the most widely known and written about ones. This keyboards claim to fame is that it can be beaten and brutalized and still come out fighting strong. The keyboard's tamperproof and waterproof characteristics check out, but it has one main drawback:

You can barely type with it.

Why?

I was shipped this keyboard from Intel through a program that they have for employees of retail industries (which I am) so they sent it to me for free after I received some Intel training. I was really excited to replace my current keyboard because it is an old dell keyboard that I snagged from an old Inspiron that has bitten the dust and it is currently to oldest part of my new computer I recently built. However, after using (well, attempting to use) the Adesso, I was thankful to bring out my old Dell keyboard again, and my typing speed increased about 400%.

How?

So how is this possibly the worst keyboard I've ever used? I'm glad you asked. The keyboard has some really terrible characteristics including the fact that when one types on it the shift key (if you use the left shift key primarily like I do) is in a terrible location. I repeatedly found myself typing "zzzz" as I was trying to hold down the shift key, which isn't even that much longer on my Dell keyboard. Also, the rubber keys make it hard to touch type. I type very fast, and I was unable to simply lightly tape the keys in order to get response from them. I literally had to bang on each one before it would register what I was typing. Not cool. What's more, the delete key is tiny and in an awkward position, which is aggravating because you are usually going for the backspace to fix some problem that was caused by the keyboard itself, not because you made the error.

Who?

Don't get me wrong (I don't want a thousand hate emails): the Adesso definitely has its place in the tech world. Those who can use it are people who work in a hazardous area or an area where you are getting your hands dirty a lot. Also it is super portable. It can be rolled up and stashed in a laptop bag for easy storage.

The Verdict:

I do not feel as though the benefits and the general overall "geeky" factor of this keyboard make up for its short comings in ability and response to typing. Afterall, a keyboards first job is to allow you to type, and after that any cool add-ons can come into play. Let me put it this way: I tried to type this review with the Adesso, but I gave up after the first few sentences and relished in the return of my beat-up old Dell keyboard. However, if you are one of the people mentioned above, or are O.C.D. about cleaning your keyboard and want a keyboard that is easy to clean, the Adesso AKB-220 is right for you… Just don't plan on typing with it.

Rating: 2.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment